Finding the best hand held scanner has always been a headache. You need to be very keen when buying because it is not easy. It could become quite expensive to try out all of the hand held scanner available to find what fits your needs. That’s why we decided to do some ‘field work’ and compile this list of the best hand held scanner available on the market. You better know that there are thousands of products that you can buy from, but they won’t all suit you or your goals and budget.
Our objective here is to make life easier for you by eliminating most of your headaches when buying or using one of the hand held scanner on the list.
Top 10 Best hand held scanner: Editor’s Choice
Top 10 Best hand held scanner Reviews for This Year
To compile this hand held scanner review, we looked at the top options on the market, recording key specifications about each model. We then selected the top products for extensive research. We made notes and recorded our findings at every step of the analysis, getting to know each product intimately. To objectively compare each in our testing, we rate them on the:
- Value for money
- Ease of use
- Customer feedback
- Customer service, and more.
We hope our rating metrics and comparative evaluation will help you find the best hand held scanner for your needs.
1. Uniden Bearcat BC125AT Handheld Scanner, 500-Alpha-Tagged Channels, Close Call Technology, PC Programable, Aviation, Marine, Railroad, NASCAR, Racing, and Non-Digital Police/Fire/Public Safety.
- LISTEN IN AND STAY INFORMED, this sophisticated scanner has 500 alpha-tagged channels in a convenient compact design with loads of features. Close Call RF capture technology instantly tunes to signals from nearby transmitters and the Do Not Disturb Mode prevents Close Call checks during a transmission.
- LISTEN TO OVER 40,000 FREQUENCIES, you can listen to both civilian and military bands, including Non-Digital Police, Ambulance, Fire, Weather, Marine, Aircraft, Railroad, Civil Air, Amateur radio services, and Racing events.
- SEARCH MORE EFFICIENTLY with 500 Alpha-Tagged Channels finding the channel you want to listen to is easy, with 500 channels divided into 10 storage banks. Organize your channels by department, location, area of interest, or any other way you prefer. Alpha Tagging lets you assign names to your channels, so you can keep track of who you are listening to.
- LIGHTWIEGHT PORTABLE DESIGN, take this Bearcat handheld radio scanner with you on the road, or on outings. It packs plenty of features, the orange backlight display is easy to read, even in low light conditions.
- GET STARTED LISTENING RIGHT AWAY with convenient Pre-sets for the most popular searches. Frequencies are preset in ten separate Non -Digital Police/Fire/Emergency, Ham, Marine, Railroad, Civil Air, Military Air, CB Radio, FRS/GMRS/MURS, and Racing search bands. This makes it easy to find channels that interest you.
- EXCELLENT HAND-HELD SCANNER (Please note: model BC125AT is NOT suitable for Trunking or Digital Radio system monitoring, (e.g. Project 25, DMR, NXDN). Some Police/Fire/Emergency/Public Safety Agencies in larger cities are switching over to DIGITAL Trunking systems. If you live in an area where Trunking or Digital Radio systems are used, you need to upgrade to a Uniden Digital model (“D” stands for Digital), such as models BCD436HP, BCD536HP, BCD996P2, BCD325P2, or HomePatrol-2.
- NOTE: The product does not have 2-way communication, is only a scanner for receiving radio transmissions
- How can we help? Uniden Customer Support web site is designed to conveniently walk you through product setup and troubleshooting, Web site: https://uniden.com/pages/support-1 . Contact customer support at email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: 1-800-297-1023.
Additional Info :
2. NetumScan USB 1D Barcode Scanner, Handheld Wired CCD Barcode Reader Supports Screen Scan UPC Bar Code Reader for Warehouse, Library, Supermarket
- ➤CCD Image Scanning Technology – NetumScan 1D barcode reader is equiped with advanced CCD sensor, which can quick capture 1D codes from paper and screen, including CODE128, UPC/EAN Add on 2 or 5, that can read even deformed barcodes, i.e. smudged, damaged, fuzzy, reflective barcodes, etc. Reading faster and more accurate than laser scanner.
- ➤Sturdy Anti-shock and Durable Design – Ergonomic design with high-quality ABS making it can support withstand repeated drops from 2m high to the concrete ground, durable to use. Durable plastic material guarantees long service life.
- ➤Three scanning mode – Key trigger mode + Auto-induction mode + Continuous Mode. There is no need to pull the trigger in auto-sensing mode and continuous scanning. Sometimes the self-sensing scanning function is in the inactive stage, please contact us and be at your service at any time.
- ➤Supported 1D Bar Code – 1D Decode Capability: UPC-A, UPC-E, EAN-8, EAN-13, ISSN, ISBN, Code 128, GS1-128, Code39, Code93,Code32, Code11, UCC/EAN128, Interleaved 2 of 5, Industrial 2 of 5, Codabar(NW-7), MSI, Plessey, RSS, China Post, etc.
- ➤Widely Use Range – This NetumScan Handheld USB barcode scanner can be used in supermarkets, convenience stores, warehouse, library, bookstore, drugstore, retail shop for file management, inventory tracking and POS(point of sale), etc.
Additional Info :
3. WoneNice USB Laser Barcode Scanner Wired Handheld Bar Code Scanner Reader Black
- Plug and play, This laser handheld barcode scanner has simple installation with any USB port and Ideal for businesses, shops and warehouse operations. Its function is unbeatable and easy to use, design is stylish
- Compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux; works with Word, Excel, Novell, and all common software
- Scanning Speed: 200 scans per second. Scanning angle: Inclination angle 55°, Elevation angle 65°. Operational Light Source:Visible Laser 650-670nm.
- Decode Capability: Code11, Code39, Code93, Code32, Code128, Coda Bar, UPC-A, UPC-E, EAN-8, EAN-13, JAN.EAN/UPC Add-on2/5 MSI/Plessey, Telepen and China Postal Code,Interleaved 2 of 5, Industrial 2 of 5, Matrix 2 of 5 ; 300 configurable options for prefix, suffix and termination strings
- Color: Black. Dimensions: 3.6 x 2.6 x 6.1 inches. Type of Cable: 2M or 6ft straight cable. Shock: 1.5m drop on concrete surface. Regulatory Approvals: FCC CE.
Additional Info :
|Color||USB Barcode Scanner|
4. Symcode Wireless Handheld Barcode Scanner Versatile 2-in-1 (2.4Ghz Wireless+USB 2.0 Wired) 328 Feet Transmission Distance Rechargeable 1D Laser Automatic Bar Code Reader Scanner(Black)
- 【Two connection modes】2.4GHz wireless and USB cable connection; With Mini USB Receiver and USB Cable, Plug and Play, USB Receiver Automatic Pairing, no need to install any software or App. Simple installation and ideal use in a wide range of situations and workplaces.
- 【Long Distance】2.4GHz Wireless Transmission Technology.Delivers up to 492ft transmission in open air/ 98ft transmission indoor. No More Data Cable Needed, easily connected with your laptop, PC etc.Set it to always-on mode to scan continuously.
- 【Fast Accurate Reading Speed】32Bit CPU super decoding ability that the speed can up to 100/sec.Anti-Shock Silicone: the Black silicone protective cover can avoid the scratches and friction while falling from the height of 6.56 feet; the technical of IP54 sturdy which protect the wireless barcode scanner from dust and moisture.
- 【Two working mode】Instant upload mode / storage mode. Internal offline storage supports up to 100,00 barcodes in offline storage mode. Scan and store barcode when far away from the receiver,and then update the data to your device when you come back entering the wireless transmission range.
- 【2000mAh Large Battery】Cannot scan QR code.With built-in rechargeable battery, Integrated 2000mAh Li-Ion battery,standby of more than half a year if fully charged; continuous scanning barcode for more than one week; It can be charged by any USB 2.0 port.
Additional Info :
5. Handheld USB Barcode Scanner Wired Automatic 1D Bar Code Reader for Supermarket, Convenience Store, Warehouse
- Handheld Laser barcode scanner can be used to scan and decode linear one-dimensional (1D) colored barcodes.
- Effectively scans barcode in a variety of hash conditions, including through , glass/plastic, in bright sunlight, in dark environments, or on curved/reflective surfaces, even the damaged, scratched, wrinkled and other low quality barcodes.
- Plug and Play, no software or app installation required，compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux; works with Quickbook, Word, Excel, Novell, and all common software.
- Decode Capability， UPC-A, UPC-E, EAN-13, EAN-8, ISBN/ISSN, Code 39, Code32, Code128, Code bar, Interleaved 2 of 5, Industrial 2 of 5, Code128, Code 93, Code 11, EAN-13, JAN.EAN/UPC Add-on2/5 MSI/Plessey, Telepen, Matrix 2 of 5,MSI/PIESSEY, UCC/EAN128 code, etc.
- Wide Use Range: Can be used in supermarket, convenience store, warehouse, library, bookstore, healthcare for file management, inventory tracking and POS(point of sale), etc.
Additional Info :
|Color||1D Wired Barcode Scanner（cheaper)|
6. Uniden Bearcat SR30C, 500-Channel Compact Handheld Scanner, Close Call RF Capture, Turbo Search, PC programable, NASCAR, Racing, Aviation, Marine, Railroad, and Non-Digital Police, Fire, Public Safety
- LISTEN IN AND STAY INFORMED! The Uniden Bearcat SR30C is a very affordable 500 channel hand-held scanner with loads of features in a convenient compact design.
- LISTEN TO OVER 32,000 FREQUENCIES: Get started listening right away with convenient pre-sets for the most popular searches. Frequencies are preset in ten service banks, Non-Digital Police/Fire/Emergency, NOAA Weather reports, Marine, Racing, Civil Aircraft, Ham Radio, Railroad, CB Radio, and other bands. This makes it easy to find channels that interest you.
- PC PROGRAMING lets you program your scanner using your PC. Close call RF capture technology instantly tunes to signals from nearby transmitters and the Priority Scan function Scans the channels you have designated as priority channels. Memory backup keeps the frequencies stored in memory for an extended time if the scanner loses power
- DELAY FUNCTION helps prevent missed replies during two-way conversations. Other features include keypad entry, Earphone Jack, key lock, battery low alert, battery save. The triple-conversion design ensures excellent Performance.
- THREE POWER OPTIONS: #1- The included USB cable will power your SR30C from your PC or other USB power source, such as a smart phone USB charger (not included). #2 – Two AA alkaline batteries (not included). #3 – Two AA rechargeable Ni-MH batteries (not included). You can also charge rechargeable Ni-MH batteries in the unit using the USB cable.
- EXCELLENT ENTRY LEVEL PORTABLE SCANNER This scanner is NOT for receiving DIGITAL communications (e.g. Project 25, DMR, NXDN). Some Police/Fire/Emergency/Public Safety Agencies in larger cities are switching over to DIGITAL Trunking communication systems. For Digital Scanners please look at other leading Uniden models such as the BCD436HP.
Additional Info :
7. Whistler WS1040 Handheld Digital Scanner Radio
- Menu Driven Programming with Context Sensitive Help – Each menu item provides a few lines of help text that provide assistance with programming and using the scanner
- Scan List-functionality allows you to arrange, group and scan objects according to your preference;Lock-out Function
- Skywarn Storm Spotter Functionality – Instant access to frequencies used by storm spotter networks
- Digital AGC – Instantly compensates for low user audio levels that are common on digital systems
- If you pressed the FIRE icon button it is possible that the frequencies pre-programmed in the scanner do not include your area. These Pre-programmed frequencies are generally common Police/Fire frequencies
Additional Info :
8. Inateck 1D USB Barcode Scanner with Intelligent Stand Wired, BCST-33
- 32-Bit Processor: Provides fast, precise decoding for 1d barcodes including barcodes that are 3mm in size.
- Plug & Play: Save time and space on your computer with the scanner’s installation free, plug and play hardware. Just connect via the USB and go.
- Precision Scanning: Fast, high precision scanning with a low-bit error rate and consistent quality performance during repeated, long term use makes work easier and more efficient.
- Durable Protection: Integrated shock and pressure resistant materials protect the device against falls, excessive weight and other potential sources of damage.
- Ergonomic Design: Optimal grip design for maximum comfort during repeated use over long periods of time.
Additional Info :
9. Whistler WS1010 Analog Handheld Scanner (Black)
- Lock-out Function – skip over specified channels or frequencies when scanning or searching
- Tune – find new and unlisted frequencies starting from a specified frequency,200 Channel memory – plenty of memory to store all your favorite frequencies in 10 separate storage banks
- Scan Delay – delays scanning for two seconds before moving to another channel in order to hear replies
- Priority Channel – set the scanner to check one channel every two seconds while scanning
- PC programmable – allows users to backup data, update database and program scanner directly from a PC
- IN THE BOX : Analog Hand-held Scanner, AC Adapter, Flex Antenna, Black Battery Shell, Yellow Rechargeable Battery Shell, User Guide, Quick Start Guide
Additional Info :
10. Uniden BCD436HP HomePatrol Series Digital Handheld Scanner. TrunkTracker V, Simple Programming, S.A.M.E. Emergency/Weather Alert, Covers USA and Canada
- The BCD436HP is the first scanner to incorporate the HomePatrol-1 ease of use in a traditional handheld scanner. Plus, Uniden’s exclusive Close Call RF Capture feature, GPS Connectivity, Extra-Large Display, Radio System Analysis and Discover Modes put the most advanced scanner features ever right in the palm of your hand.
- Simple to operate, no programming needed. Simply turn it on, enter your zip code, and TrunkTracker V does the rest.
- This user-friendly digital scanner will immediately begin receiving communications used by Public Safety, Police, Fire, EMS, Ambulance, Aircraft, Military, Weather, and more.Scan Speed – 85 channels per second
- This functionality is made possible by combining the rich radio system database from Radio Reference with Uniden’s patented radio system selection methods to correctly identify and monitor only nearby systems in the USA/Canada.
- Whether it is across town or across the street, the BCD436HP keeps you informed. Now with the largest display on the market and more advanced features, the BCD436HP makes a superior unit for the scanner enthusiast..Instant Replay – Plays back up to 240 seconds (4 minutes) of the most recent transmissions..Custom Alerts – You can program your scanner to alert when you receive, a Channel or Unit ID, a Close Call hit, an ID is transmitted with an Emergency Alert, or a Tone-out hit. For each alert in the scanner, you can select from 9 different tone patterns, 15 volume settings, 7 colors, and 3 flash patterns.
Additional Info :
[replace_keyword Buying Guide: What to Look for Before Buying?
It can be hard to know where to start when you’re in the market for a new hand held scanner. There are many options out there, and each has pros and cons. Luckily, we’ve done the research for you and compiled all the information you need to make a smart choice about what to buy. Our buying guide is here to help you find the right product for your needs.
Before you buy hand held scanner, make sure that you look at these factors:
- Search for the best quality product: Quality is the most important thing to consider when buying hand held scanner. If you want your product to last long and give value for your money, then look for a high-quality product.
- Buy the best durable product to save money: How long does it take for your hand held scanner to break down or stop working? It is worth the investment if you have an item that lasts longer than expected.
- Always buy from renowned brands to get the best one: Established brands are more reliable than new ones since they have proven their strength and quality over time. Some brands also have a reputation for providing excellent customer service.
- Observe user feedback on various sources: Review sites like Amazon can provide you with information about other people’s experiences with products.
Take a look at these factors before buying hand held scanner:
If there’s one thing that can make or break an online shopping experience, it’s product quality. It is one of the most important factors when buying anything online because it will determine how long your product lasts and whether or not you get value for your money. If a hand held scanner has poor quality, it might break down after just a few months of use, leaving you disappointed and frustrated at having wasted money on something that didn’t last long enough before breaking down on its own.
It should be good and reliable so that it can serve you for many years to come. Check if there are any issues with the product and if it has received negative reviews from other users or experts. If you’re unsure about this point, read customer reviews online or ask your friends who have used these products.
The next thing to look at is the feature of the hand held scanner. Features are also important when choosing a product, especially if you have specific needs or requirements that must be met. Make sure that all of its features you need work properly because if they don’t work properly, then you might have wasted money on something useless! Also, ensure that all of its features suit your needs so that you won’t be disappointed later! The more features that come with your purchase, the more expensive it will be, so make sure you know what features are important to you before buying hand held scanner.
The next thing you need to consider is the hand held scanner price. Ensure your chosen product’s price is reasonable so you won’t have to waste too much money on it. You can compare different products from different brands according to their prices and see which one seems reasonable enough for your budget. Don’t go for something too expensive or cheap, as it may not be worth it in the long run!
Another important thing to consider when buying hand held scanner is its durability. This means you want something that will last long enough to get good value. You don’t want to buy something that will break down quickly and leave you with nothing but regrets about spending your money on it in the first place!
Finally, budget is another important factor when choosing a hand held scanner. The cost of every product varies from one brand to another, so it’s important that you make sure that you have enough money before purchasing a product. Make sure that whatever you spend on your purchase will not affect your budget too much, leading to financial problems later in life.
Another thing to look at when making a purchase decision is whether or not the brand has a good reputation for delivering high-quality goods at affordable prices. This means that if they have been around for some time, they must be doing something right!
Most companies offer a warranty as they know that their products will not damage due to wear and tear over time. Therefore, it is essential to look for a company that offers at least 12 months warranty on their products, ensuring that any damage can be repaired or replaced with no extra cost incurred by the buyer. If possible, try getting one with an extended warranty as well, as this will give you peace of mind knowing that if anything goes wrong, you can repair it without any charge or a bit.